Lisa:

The symptoms you describe would suggest that the dosage of Mirapex may be
relatively low to meet your needs.  Abrupt changes from one agonist to
another can be made if the doses are close to equivalent, otherwise,
tapering the old and ramping up the new are necessary.  Bob's statements
about changing more than one thing at the time are also true.

During transitions, it is not rare for people to feel temporarily worse, as
the dosage of the new medication is adjusted to optimal level by your
neurologist.

A rough way of calculating equivalent doses for the agonists (pergolide and
Mirapex) is to think of the "target" or "common," or "usual" daily
maintenance doses:  for pergolide, it is 3 mg daily (1 mg three times
daily), while for pramipexole it is also happens to be 3 mg daily (1 mg
three times daily). [NOTE: many people are maintained at different doses -
these are just guidelines for this calculation.]

Generally speaking, an abrupt switch from pergolide to pramipexole is
easiest for the PWP if the switch is at close to the same or equivalent
dosage.  In your case, pergolide 0.25 mg five times daily (equals 1.25 mg
per day) could switch over to pramipexole 1.25 mg per day.  Your switch was
to pramipexole 0.375 mg daily (0.125 mg three times daily), is the rough
equivalent of a 70% reduction in dose.  That is why you may be feeling a
loss of effect.  Your neurologist may have done this on purpose - I have no
way of knowing, since you do not indicate why the switch was made, and I
cannot second guess his clinical judgment since he has seen you and I
haven't.

This may all be temporary, while your neurologist finds the best dose of the
Mirapex for you.  That may be why you are not feeling well - either you
don't have enough dopamine agonist, or you are feeling the relative
withdrawal.

As a fall-back position, if your symptoms are so intolerable that you cannot
wait for your neurologist to be available on the island, you can always
resume your old treatment, and discuss additional changes with your
neurologist.  Ultimately, he might instruct you to increase the dose of
Mirapex, but you should do that only with his/her supervision.

Jorge Romero, MD