Dear Debra,

You state your ethical convictions quite eloquently. There's just one
problem. The Brownack bill makes it illegal to research or receive treatment
from SCNT. SCNT (aka `Therapeutic Cloning') is about saving and improving
lives.  It is fundamentally different from human reproductive cloning; SCNT
produces stem cells, not babies. In SCNT, the nucleus of a donor's
unfertilized egg is removed and replaced with the nucleus of a patient's own
cells, like a skin, heart, or nerve cell.  These types of cells are called
somatic cells. The goal of SCNT is to develop stem cells that will not be
rejected or destroyed by the patient's immune system. NO sperm is used in
this procedure. The cells are not transplanted into a womb. The unfertilized
egg cells are stored in a petri dish to become a source of stem cells that
can be used to treat life-threatening medical conditions. SCNT aims to treat
or cure patients by creating tailor-made, genetically identical cells that
their bodies won't reject.  In other words, SCNT could allow patients to be
cured using their own DNA.

There are many different kinds of cloning, most of which are commonly used
medical tools. Cloning simply means making copies of a single molecule,
cell, virus or bacterium. Over the last decade, various types of cloning
have allowed scientists and researchers to: Develop powerful new drugs;
Produce insulin and useful bacteria in the lab; Track the origins of
biological weapons; Catch criminals and free innocent people.

I, too, oppose reproductive cloning, which aims to create human beings by
cloning human embryos. In fact patient advocacy groups and leading
scientists, including the National Academy of Sciences, and a huge majority
of the American people agree that human reproductive cloning should not be
pursued.

But please, don't get the SCNT confused with human reproductive cloning.
That would be like saying you believe in re-incarnation.....   at the
molecular level!

Regards,

Terry Bowers