Dear Janice,

I for one am opposed to reproductive cloning, which aims to create human
beings by cloning human embryos. But I'm not alone. Patients advocacy groups
and leading scientists, including the National Academy of Sciences, and a
huge majority of the American people agree that human reproductive cloning
should not be pursued.

 What we're talking about here is that SCNT could lead to dramatic new
treatments and cures for now-incurable diseases and medical conditions. SCNT
could be used to help nearly 100 million Americans suffer from cancer,
Alzheimer's, diabetes, Parkinson's, spinal cord injuries, heart disease,
ALS, and other devastating conditions for which treatments must still be
found. Proof of the principle for SCNT has been established in recently
published research on disease in mice.Moreover SCNT is widely supported in
the U.S., for instance by the Nation's leading medical scientists, including
the National Academy of Sciences, major patient advocacy organizations, the
American public, Republicans and Democrats and religious leaders.

However the Brownback bill would have devastating results. It would ban
SCNT, or therapeutic cloning, cutting-off hope to millions of Americans with
life-threatening diseases; make it illegal for U.S. citizens to seek SCNT
treatment abroad.  This means that a patient who may have little hope left
could be thrown in jail upon re-entry to the U.S. if they went to another
country to have treatment using SCNT. The bill calls for sending any U.S.
scientist to jail for developing SCNT therapies in a petri dish; makes it
illegal for U.S. scientists to import SCNT therapies that were developed in
other countries. In short, passage of Brownback-or any ban on this
research-runs counter to our nation's history as the world's leader in
biomedical research.Even a temporary ban on SCNT (such as a moratorium)
would cripple this promising field and delay patients' access to potentially
life-saving treatments.

And one final point that I would like to make.  When we start saying when
life begins and when life ends and God is for this science and God is
against that science, we limit God. How can we as His creation begin to know
the true mind of God?

Sincerely,

Terry Bowers