Hi All -

Debra raises some interesting questions about the current state of research
in pig cell therapy for Parkinson's Disease.  The first question is whether
or not clinical trials are continuing.

To the best of my knowledge no more patients will be offered a chance at this
experimental procedure.  The project, conducted by Genzyme/Diacrin, appears
to be on (at least) a temporary hold.  The basic reason is that Phase 2
studies gave "inconclusive" results.  In this controlled program there was
little discernible difference between the 2 groups of subjects.  The 1st
group receiving the cells while the 2nd received a placebo procedure.  As you
can imagine these findings were a huge disappointment to the developers and
financiers, not to mention those of us who suffer from PD and other
neurological conditions.

On the other hand some of the Phase 1 patients, including yours truly, had
documented, scientifically demonstrable improvements.  What is interesting is
that Phase 1 trials were designed mostly to test the safety (but not the
efficacy) of the surgery.  The fact that some of the participants obtained
benefit was considered to be a nice bonus.  In that first group of 12 the
younger people seemed to have had the best response.  At the 24 month post
operative point the scientists measured a 50% improvement in my symptoms,
based on standardized Parkinson's rating scales.  Those who were 60+ saw
little or no change.  I was 47 at the time of the surgery.  I am now 54.  My
diagnosis came at age 32.

I do not know the long-term results of the others in this research project.
The company has not encouraged communication between us.  Following their
lead I have chosen not to seek out others in the group.

It is very important to note that I am not "cured."  I still have PD and I
still take the medications for it.  But of equal significance is that this
operation offers the potential for, at a minimum, great symptomatic relief.

I consider myself to be very fortunate to have been a part of this exciting
medical research.

To learn more about my experiences with this project go to URL:

 <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn/index.html">
http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn/index.html</A>

As always feel free to write directly if you have any questions.

Jim Finn