This is the brother to the PD patient speaking:

I appreciate all the material I have been reading....a little knowledge
makes a person "dangerous".  But I am still searching for information...to
become better informed.  Thanks again.

Again, my brother has PD in Dallas, Tex.  I am in Georgia.  I have developed
some good ideas on what to do within the next several weeks, again, thanks
to several comments sent to me.  Thank you.

But, I would like to re-visit the medications again.

Brother:  Developed PD symptoms some 8 years ago.  Diagnosed PD about 5
years ago.  Had the shuffle (fell many times before being diagnosed).
Speech gradually decreased to none at all.  Had the tremors begin gradually
(8 years ago)....finally could not drink without spilling it....before he
was put on medication.  Had swallowing problems some 6 years ago.....could
not seem to swallow and the food would accumulate in his mouth until he
looked like he was "gorging" his food.  He would cough violently at times
after getting choked.  Finally, recently, he got pneumonia (aspiration) and
did a barium swallow and it was determined he was swallowing into his
lungs...and could not detect it was going down the wrong way.  Doctors put
in a stomach tube for his feeding and medications.  He can not walk without
assistance.  He uses the wheelchair to some degree.  He can read some and
comprehend...to some degree (I don't know how much), but from what I have
seen he understands what one is saying.  His vision needs to be checked
(wears glasses) but cannot put them (glasses) on by himself.

That is the picture of John.
He takes 25/100 3 times a day of Simnemet.
He takes Parlodel 5 mg 3 times a day (this was upgraded in December, 2001).
I would guess he takes the parlodel, the Simnemet, and his blood pressure
pills at the same time....he is in a nursing home.

Question:  From the symptoms as described above would it "appear" that the
medications are sufficient?

 I have already had some good responses that gave me some insight into
medications...I already know that  medications are prescribed by the Doctor
upon observation and treatment of the patient.  I already know that taking
PD medications is timely.  I already know the patient reacts differently to
different medications and different amounts.  I have learned a lot from your
comments.  I wish I had been this informed some 8 years ago.

But, in general, would it appear the medications John is receiving is
adequate?

To show you how much I knew (and ignorant) I was asking John's wife to take
him off the medication entirely to see what would happen....(thinking it
could not be worst than where he already is).  My reasoning was that his
mother had PD and his aunt and his grandmother.  They never took medications
for PD.  But then, they never progressed to the degree he has progressed.
(They were never medically diagnosed - they just said they had PD....and it
appeared they did, however it did not disable them).  Now, I am of the
opinion he needs more medication, now less.

Your opinion on the medications?

Thank you,

Larry