Home hackers

It was late one night in her suburban Ottawa house when Sara Charest
noticed someone was watching, following her every keystroke, opening her
computer programs.

“It's creepy. I'd be away from my computer, nobody would be near it, and
the mouse would be moving around,” she says.

The machine wasn't haunted – it was connected. It was hooked up to
high-speed Internet access through a cable modem, a way in for hackers.

“It is kind of scary that a complete stranger can go into your computer
just as if they walked through your front door,” says Charest.

Instead, hackers follow the World Wide Web to unprotected computers all
over the map.

One hacker ended up in Campbell River, B.C., breaking into a home machine
just hours after it was connected to high-speed Internet access through a
phone line.

“It feels like walking into your house after a burglar's been there and
being robbed. It feels very invasive.”

Photographer Paul Stobbe found his computer desktop erased. He also found
rude digital graffiti. The hacker boasted he could have wiped out Stobbe's
hard drive completely and bragged about finding Stobbe's bank password.

“I have my business stuff on the computer,” he says. “We do some banking
on-line as well. It was enough to scare the daylights out of me.”

He still doesn't know if his clients' credit card numbers were copied.

More than ever before, the hacker's trail leads to the personal computer.
This is especially so in Canada where high-speed access at home is more
common than anywhere else in the world.

The average machine is so poorly protected someone tries to enter several
times every hour. It's as if hackers just point and click, as if they've
got software that systematically picks homes to target, rattling thousands
of doorknobs at a time looking for ones that have been left unlocked.

In fact, that's exactly the kind of software they use.

Neal Christopher, who works for a network security firm called WhiteHat,
knows what so-called black hat hackers (the bad guys) do.

He says hackers can gain control of your computer, watch what you do and
open files on your hard drive. And, with a widely available underground
program, even unskilled hackers can automate their attacks.

Using two computers, one as the attacker and one as a victim, Christopher
demonstrates how hackers can control the cursor on your screen, open your
CD-ROM tray or steal your online banking password even though it’s blanked
out on your screen.

“I can see you enter your user name, and I can see you enter your
password,” he says. “I can then use that information to my advantage and
log back into your account.”

Some hackers rifle for valuable information and some simply want a thrill.
A few want to use your machine to mask illegal activities, like
distributing pornography or attacking bigger corporate computers.

“And the only time you're going to find out that you've been involved in
that, or that your computer's been involved, is when the police knock on
your door to collect your computer as evidence,” Christopher says.

The way to discourage hackers is with a firewall, which acts as a kind of
burglar alarm to protect your computer. It's designed to block all access
unless you approve.

Some Web sites, such as zonealarm.com, even offer free firewall software.
Others, such as symantec.com, will scan your connection to tell you just
how vulnerable you are.

Sara Charest knows how vulnerable she was. She still has no idea who was
haunting her computer… or why.

“I’ve heard of it happening to big companies,” she says, “but I never
really thought that it would happen to me, just someone surfing on the
Internet.”

She is one of many Canadians with an open door to the spooky side of the Web.

Use a Mac? You're not necessarily safer

After every story that deals with computer viruses, worms or related
critters I get e-mail from viewers telling me the easiest prevention is to
switch to a Mac.

It's true there are far fewer viruses written for Apple's operating
systems. But it's not true that they are immune to them. For instance,
viruses that take advantage of security holes in Microsoft Word have the
same impact whether your version of Word is on a Mac or a PC platform.

And when it comes to hackers, Macs are certainly not in the clear.

An unprotected Mac using high-speed access at home is just as likely to
have its ports scanned as a PC. – and hackers are just as likely to try to
take advantage of an open port if they find one.

The only difference is, the hacker has to recognize it's a different
platform and choose his or her tools accordingly. (Underground programs to
help the hacker do this are just as easily available.)

For general information and plenty of discussion of the issue, see
securemac.com.

There are a number of companies that offer specific software or hardware to
help set up firewalls and to address other Mac security issues. Start with
the list at macosxapps.com.

Reporter: Saša Petricic
Airdate: April 2, 2002
CBC Newsworld
http://www.cbc.ca/national/sasa/homehackers.html

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/