I posted an article earlier that demonstrates the momentum and hysteria
around the cloning debate.  Not enough people realize what a fragile hold we
have on our future and that a cure for PD may essentially be banned by our
goverment.  I was fortunate to have the following Op-Ed published in the San
Jose Mercury News recently.  I urge you to get the word  out.  If this
document is helpful you have my permission to reprint or write your own and
send it to your local newspaper.  Call, write or email your representatives
in Washington and  your State representatives. Get educated. Attend the PAN
forum.  Talk to people.  Now is the time and this is important.
Thank you.
(stepping off the soapbox, for now)
-Lynn

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/3016752.htm
The Mercury News/Opinion
Posted on Sun, Apr. 07, 2002
Cloning research: It could save your life
MY VIEW: By Lynn Fielder
COMPETING human cloning bills will soon be debated and voted upon by the U.S.
Senate. Many people do not realize that embroiled in this debate is not just
futuristic reproductive cloning (producing babies genetically identical to
one parent), but therapeutic cloning as well.
Therapeutic cloning, which scientists call somatic cell nuclear transfer,
produces stem cells, not people. The distinction is critical to the future of
more than 100 million Americans who are battling incurable, life-threatening
diseases.
I am a 40-year-old woman, mother and now an activist. I have Parkinson's
disease, and my future is at stake in that vote. People motivated by fear,
ignorance or worse are attempting bury the health and hope of people like me
by creating the false impression that many factions of society are opposed to
this vital research.
Support for therapeutic cloning is broad among those who understand it,
because the promise that therapeutic cloning holds is almost beyond
imagination. Curing neuro-degenerative diseases, spinal cord injuries and
diabetes is just the beginning of the potential of somatic cell nuclear
transfer.
Somatic cell research, like recombinant DNA, is tremendously promising. In
this process, scientists replace the nucleus of an unfertilized egg cell with
material from the nucleus of a ``somatic cell'' (a skin, heart, nerve or any
other non-germ cell). What results is cloned tissue, and doctors believe it
would eliminate the rejection that often occurs with organ transplants.
Stem cell research has been strongly endorsed by a high-level committee of
the National Academy of Sciences, all major patient advocacy groups, Nobel
Prize winners, and medical researchers. With full support and sufficient
funding, scientists believe that stem cell research could usher in a new era
of health within the next five to 10 years.
Five years will be in time for me and perhaps millions of other people with
debilitating diseases; 10 years will have a profound positive impact for
many, but for me it will probably be too late.
Sen. Sam Brownback has introduced a bill (S. 1899) that would not only ban
reproductive cloning, but also therapeutic cloning and impose severe criminal
and civil penalties on scientists who conduct somatic cell nuclear transfer
research. On the other side are bills sponsored by Sens. Edward Kennedy and
Dianne Feinstein (S. 1758) and Tom Harkin and Arlen Specter (S. 1893) that
would ban reproductive cloning but allow somatic cell nuclear transfer
research to proceed, with appropriate controls, to cure life-threatening
diseases
Supporters of the Brownback bill, the very familiar opponents to most forms
of stem cell research, are employing their usual tactics. Using hyperbole and
fear, they are promoting notions of renegade engineered human clones, created
by genetic manipulators who are driven by eugenics and greed.
The Brownback bill exemplifies the dangers of using fear of this new world to
suppress and punish science. We can't undiscover cellular manipulation, we
can't undo the splitting of the atom, we can't even get the toothpaste back
in the tube.
But how we thoughtfully manage our discoveries is the duty of a democratic
society. It is also our responsibility to not discard the ``good science''
when faced with new discoveries.
Many people are unaware of the extreme measures in the Brownback bill.
Brownback seeks to institute a five-year moratorium on all ``cloning'' and
goes so far as to legislate imprisonment of 10 years for someone such as
myself if I were to travel abroad for somatic cell treatment for my
Parkinson's disease.
The irony of being potentially freed from the imprisonment of this disease
but being thrown in prison by my government is almost too much to bear.
Denying Americans legal access to effective medical therapies is
inappropriate, immoral and inhumane. Please let us not further confuse this
already complex issue or fail to speak up -- the stakes are too high and we
are wasting precious time.

Lynn Fielder serves on the board of The Parkinson Alliance (
www.ParkinsonAlliance.net), and and is vice president of medical service for
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte in San Jose.