From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network

Date: Thursday, April 11, 2002 17:35:45

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: A Different View

I am a fellow PWP. I have listened patiently over the last several weeks,
and especially today to peoples' support of stem cell research and now
therapeutic human cloning. Allow me to share a different view.

I am a 47 year old mother of 3 boys and I have PD. I share the frustrations
over dealing with the symptoms of the disease and the side effects of the
medicines. I also share the same future. I too desperately hope and pray for
a cure for Parkinson's, but not at the expense of violating God's Word and
the sanctity of human life. I support President Bush's position on human
cloning and I support Brownback's bill for many of the reasons that
President Bush listed. I will not take the time to argue his points as I
feel he did a good job of that on his own, and I am sure you are all aware
of his arguments. My position comes from my belief that God's Word is
absolutely true, that His Word never changes , that it is the standard we
use to determine right from wrong and that the truth does not change just
because our circumstances change. I believe God made man in His own image,
that He sanctified human life and that He knows exactly when "life" begins,
which is at conception.!

I therefore believe that creating human life in order to destroy it,at any
stage, and for any reason, however noble it may seem, is wrong! And since
His Truth is absolute and does not change then right and wrong do not change
just because I now have Parkinson's.

Much has been said about those who oppose therapeutic human cloning being
motivated by "fear and ignorance". My motives in opposing this are not fear
and ignorance, but rather faith and hope. Faith that God is bigger than
Parkinson's Disease and faith that if we place obedience to His Word above
all else that He will lead us to a cure for Parkinson's without us having to
destroy life to do it. And Hope that scientists are intelligent enough and
morally responsible enough to seek and pursue other avenues for a cure that
do not violate God's Word. I have confidence that they are and that they
will do just that.

I realize that my position is probably not going to be very popular on this
list. That's okay. I have read and considered all of your letters and I
respect your right to hold to a different view. I hope that you will give me
the same consideration.

Trusting Him!

Debra