Let me throw something out into the fire here.  It is my belief that we human beings take our selves and our place on this Earth just a little too seriously.  All you need to do is watch the Discovery Channel once in awhile and you'll learn that the Yellowstone caldera is going to blow in about 1700 or 2700 years and when it does life will be destroy; or that asteroid collision.  So to coin a phrase "what's it all about Alfie?".

What makes us more special than any other life on this Earth?  Of course we cherish our own personal existence and time on Earth, but certainly life does not cherish us.  If I didn't enjoy those hamburgers so much I would be a vegetarian.  But something has gotta die so that I might live.  That leaves me feeling guilty.  I have to assume (yes, assume) that this is meant to be and what the basis of existence is all about.

Let's say, just for fun, that suicide is a sin and not a personal right.  Let's then say that banning something like therapeutic cloning could be in some respects interpreted as murder of the disabled masses for refusing to them the potential cure; or even suicide if one cannot reach out and grasp the most promising development (cloning in any form) of the moment to prevent death, are they committing suicide and therefore a sin?  You'll have to come to grips with your god about that one.

These are interesting points to argue but there is no black and white - only shades of gray matter (pun intended).

Let's enjoy the discussion, the bantering, the mystery, the solutions, the problem solving, the sharing - but I for one won't take it too personally and will try to digest the information in the positive manner for which I'll assume it is given.

pat
patricia lewis (age 49)
cg for spouse: burdette e anderson 53/35/34
boulder MT 59632 USA