hi all

i know this is not specifically about parkinson's
but i believe that the core here is conflict resolution
which i'm sure applies to many aspects of our lives
it sure does in mine!

janet

At 14:51 2002/04/17 -0700, someone wrote:
>Sorry, Janet, to reply to you personally but I didn't feel that this was
>appropriate on the Parkinson's list.  Also, I don't really understand
>your post.
>
>You start out saying "more than 3,000 years of invasion...".  I'm not
>sure where this comes from?  The State of Israel has been in existence
>just 54 years, since 1948.  In fact, today is its birthday!  I'm not
>sure where you think that 3,000 years of invasion have come from.

look at the history of the land under contention

>Sharing and cooperation and agreeing to live like brothers requires two
>parties.  You can't cooperate with someone who won't cooperate with you.

there might be a way that hasn't been used or even considered yet

>On September 11th, an attack was made by Al Qaeda on the "infidels" of
>North America.  Do you advocate a "forget the blame, fix the error"
>approach with Osama bin Laden and his group?  Just how would you like
>America to fix our "error" of being a non-Muslim country?

blame and holding onto hate only hurts the haters
and muddies their vision

the error i refer to is our modes of settling conflicts up to now

>In the last five years, the Palestinian Authority has received over $2
>billion US dollars in aid.  NONE of that aid has been spent on helping
>the Palestinians.  It has all gone into personal Swiss bank accounts of
>PA officials where it remains.  I challenge you to show me a single
>road, a single water filtration plan, a single anything that the PA has
>done to help the Palestinian people.  As you may know, Yasser Arafat's
>family itself lives in France, not in Palestinian territories.  The fact
>is that the Palestinians are not interested in sharing.  Their only
>interest, which has been publicly and repeatedly state in Arabic, is the
>total and complete destruction of the State of Israel.

again, blame and holding onto hate only hurts the hater

>In addition, not a single Arab country has stepped forward to help the
>Palestinian people.  Jordan, which prior to 1967 controlled the land in
>which the Palestinians now live, has killed thousands of Palestinians
>and in the famous Black September incident in 1970 slaughtered 3,000
>Palestinians in a single week.  Saddam Hussein slaughtered thousands of
>Palestinians during the invasion of Kuwait before expelling them from
>his country.

again, blame and holding onto hate only hurts the hater

>In case you're not aware, I've attached a map showing the territory
>occupied by Israel that is such a threat to the Arab world.

not needed thank you
our conflict resolution methods up to now have not worked
reviewing them does not improve our chances at finding a new way

>Israel would like nothing more than to live in peace with the
>Palestinian people.  But it has to be a two way street.  And Israel
>needs some guaranty of security.

sounds like more of "my way or the highway"
our conflict resolution methods up to now have not worked

>After repeated attacks against Israeli
>teenagers and civilians in pizza parlors, discos, and malls and repeated
>refusal by the Palestinians to arrest those responsbile, what choice did
>Israel have?  Should Israel just permit the attacks to continue?  Israel
>has suffered, per capita, SIX TIMES the losses that America suffered on
>September 11th.

again, blame and holding onto hate only hurts the hater
our conflict resolution methods up to now have not worked

>Your post indicated somehow that both sides are equally right or equally
>to blame.  This is like saying that both sides in the September 11th
>attack or the subsequent decimation of the government and land of
>Afghanistan are equally to blame.  They're not.

sounds like "he hit me harder"
our conflict resolution methods up to now have not worked

>Also, on a more topical note, I'm sure that you're aware of the volume
>and quality of Parkinson's research being done in Israel.  I don't see
>much coming out of any of the other countries on the map.  It could be
>there.  I just don't see it.
>
>Thanks,
>Gary

maybe the beginning of this is
do we want to resolve the conflict or not?

if no
then we should keep on doing what we've been doing
since it doesn't work

if yes
we have to find another way
there is always another way

what's past is past
we can not keep reliving it or we lose the present
and create for ourselves a future that is simply a re-run of the past

janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/