Parkinson's brain renewal advance

Thursday, 18 April, 2002, 04:10 GMT 05:10 UK - Doctors in Bristol have
developed an experimental treatment which, they suspect, has regenerated
the brains of five patients with Parkinson's disease.

One patient has learned to laugh again and has regained his sense of smell.

The doctors say it is too soon to tell whether the treatment is long
lasting or could be used on all Parkinsons' sufferers.

But they have been astonished at how effective the treatment has been so far.

The treatment involves putting a drug called GDNF into a mechanical pump
which feeds it to the most damaged parts of the brain.

"We can deliver a drug very precisely to areas in the brain in the
concentrations that we need to cause recovery and we can control that very
precisely" said Stephen Gill, consultant neurosurgeon at Frenchay Hospital.

He said he and his colleagues were very surprised at the effects of the
treatment.

"We thought that this drug would take some months or years to be effective
[but] we found that really within a month or two patients were noticing
significant changes."

Patients with Parkinson's disease lose their sense of smell and taste but
this recovered very early, he said.

Roger Nelson, who took part in the Bristol trial, told the BBC what the
treatment had meant for him.

"Being able to talk better, walk better, smile and also laugh again.

"My wife passed a slightly risque comment just after I got home from
hospital and I burst out laughing, which I hadn't been able to do for
several years," he said.

Nik Patel, consultant neurosurgeon at Frenchay Hospital, counsels caution.

"I think we're a way from a possible cure yet and we have many hurdles to
cross and many theories to prove but that remains a possibility.

"We have to prove that this drug is continually effective, safe and does
reverse the disease and in time we may see the results on a PET scan
confirming these cells have re-grown," he told the BBC.

The new treatment has worked well on five people - but that is too few to
know for sure whether it is an effective therapy. But the results so far
are promising and it has given Roger a new lease of life.

By Pallab Ghosh
BBC science correspondent
BBC News Online: Sci/Tech
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/sci/tech/newsid_1935000/1935593.stm

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/