     2001/12/07 The CANCAN Chart (Control/AcceptaNCe/AwareNess)

     hi all

     one of the most powerful influences on our day to day outlook
     is the concept of "control"

     if we feel we have no "control" over our lives
     we can become discouraged despondent despairing

     put that together with a parky brain
     and its tendency to the negative thought distortions of clinical
depression
     and what do you get?

     in my view, one of the biggest hurdles we face as parkies
     is "acceptance" of our situation

     not just the one-time diagnosis
     but the ongoing stages of accepting the changes that pd brings

     it is very slowly progressive and degenerative
     so it can seem that there is constant loss
     of abilities of freedom of identity
     to struggle with

     put that together with the daily on/off syndrome
     which a mid- to long-term parky faces
     and what do you get?

     which other "disability" or "chronic condition"
     turns its symptoms off and on like a lightswitch 10 times a day?
     diabetes?
     glaucoma?
     arthritis?
     quadriplegia?
     multiple sclerosis?

     which blind person wouldn't welcome the possibility of near-normal sight
     even just once a day
     even just for a few minutes?

     is the on/off syndrome a daily or hourly blessing
     or a cruel trick?

     is part of the trickery
     the enabling of denial (non-"acceptance") in us, viz:
     "oh, i'm not really that bad - not really "disabled"
     i'll be okay in an hour - or a minute - or sometime soon"

     put that together with the reluctance to show our "bad" times in public
     and what do you get?

     although "awareness" of pd has been improving recently
     the general public still know little real facts about it
     (viz: a report today in USA Today confusing PD with CBGD)
     and that ignorance permeates our society at all levels
     (medical scientifical clerical laical etc.)

     so what have we got so far?

     parkies feeling a lack of personal "control" over their lives
     parkies having difficulty "accepting" their condition
     lack of public "awareness" about pd

     how can we feel more powerful than we do now?

     we as parkies
     have to become our own advocates and ambassadors
     in the struggle to understanding and enlightenment in us and in others

     the neurons in our brains are miraculous things
     as we learn they re-wire themselves

     writing something down is more effective (to our brain circuitry)
     than just talking about it;
     call me a witness:
     i've been "doing the CANCAN" for the past few days and i love it!

     i talk about pd to virtually everyone i encounter
     including several who "should" know more about it than they do
     viz: some of the community care workers i've met recently

     i've tried explaining the on/off syndrome to them verbally
     with some degree of success
     but have had much better results
     with a chart i've developed for myself

     when they see my daily record in black and white
     the light of understanding begins to glow
     and then when they see it in colour
     (i just used highlighters for the colour coding)
     the "aha!" flash hits them!

     take a look, try it out, and tell me what you think!

     it's accessible and linked on the front page of my website
     under "what's new?"

     janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/