On 20 Apr 2002, at 19:55, Deborah Setzer wrote:

> I finally found fresh fava beans at the grocery store and I bought a lot
> of them.
>
> Could someone PLEASE send me some recipes and/or tell me how to cook
> them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deborah

Hi Deborah,
I'm a mechanic, not a cook....  I'd prolly just add some to my borscht...

But... if you're really keen...  fava beans for breakfast?  Ahuh...

On the wwweb:

fava bean

Definition: [FAH-vuh] This tan, rather flat bean resembles a very
large lima bean. It comes in a large pod that, unless very young,
is inedible. Fava beans can be purchased dried, cooked in cans
and, infrequently, fresh. If you find fresh fava beans, choose those
with pods that aren't bulging with beans, which indicates age.
Fava beans have a very tough skin, which should be removed by
blanching before cooking. They're very popular in Mediterranean
and Middle Eastern dishes, can be cooked in a variety of ways
and are often used in soups.
http://www.foodtv.com/terms/tt-r2/0,4474,2423,00.html

************

Fava Bean Breakfast Spread
Submitted by: Beverly Estes
Makes 6 servings

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready in: 20 Minutes

" A deliciously seasoned fava bean, onion, and tomato dip recipe!
Traditionally served with pita bread for breakfast in Egypt. "

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can fava beans

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 large tomato, diced

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

 salt and pepper to taste

 ground red pepper, to taste

 Directions
 Pour the beans into a pot and bring to a boil. Mix them well and add
onion, tomato, olive oil, cumin, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper,
and red pepper. Bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce the heat
to medium. Let the mixture cook 5 minutes. Serve warm with grilled pita.
http://www.vegetarianrecipe.com/AZ/FvBnBrkfstSprd.asp

*********

Artichoke and Fresh Fava Bean Omelet

Ingredients:

3 small, trimmed Artichokes
1 cup fresh or frozen green Fava Beans
Olive Oil for frying
1 medium, sliced Onion
1 -2 cloves, minced Garlic
4  Eggs
1 1/2 cups, sliced (optional) Spicy Sausage
Salt and pepper
fresh, chopped Parsley

Directions:

Halve the artichokes and slice each half into 4 segments.
Wipe dry with paper towels.

Blanch the fava beans for 5 minutes in boiling water,
then plunge into cold water. Drain and reserve.

In a heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and saute
the artichokes, onion, and fava beans. When the vegetables
are tender, about 15 minutes, add the minced garlic
and saute briefly.

With a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the skillet,
leaving as much of the oil in the skillet as possible. Pass the oil
through a fine sieve, wipe the skillet with paper towels,
and pour the oil back into the skillet.

Beat the eggs lightly. Heat the oil over low heat and pour
the eggs into the skillet. Add the sauteed vegetables and
sausage slices, and season with salt and pepper. Stir the
egg mixture with a fork for a few seconds, until the omelet
begins to thicken. Continue cooking for about 1 minute,
or until the omelet is almost firm and starts to brown on the
bottom. Carefully slide the omelet onto a plate, invert the
skillet over it, and turn over. Saute the omelet for a few
seconds on the second side.

Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley,
and serve immediately.

http://www.greekcuisine.com/new/detail.html?RecipeID=104

*********