Date sent:              Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:52:33 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   "Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD"
Subject:                Re: Fava Bean Help Needed
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Dear Deborah,
> I've researched fava beans, and have written an article, should you
> care to read it: Fava Beans, levodopa and Parkinson's
> http://www.parkinson.org/fava.htm
>
> Best,
> Kathrynne

With all of the renewed interest in fava beans, I suppose that I need
to post this again.

There is a small number of people, mostly of Italian and other
Mediterranean origin, who lack an enzyme needed for the breakdown of
certain substances within fava beans.  This causes the accumulation
of chemicals which can lead to severe symptoms, including blindness.
It is called "favism".  The incidence of this condition is rare, but
there is no way to know in advance without esoteric (and expensive)
testing.

The amount of Dopamine-equivalent substance in fava beans is very
small.  You would have to eat pounds of them in order to get as much
as in one pill.  In my opinion, it is not worth the risk.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"