Greg Sterling asked
<<Anyone have any news on this past weekends PD Unity Walk in NYC?>>

The Parkinson's Unity Walk 2001-2002 was great. The day was perfect - sun
shining, warm weather and a good turnout. Other list members attending
included Jeanette Fuhr - all the way from Missouri, and Kathleen
Cochrane. A large delegation from our Western New York Parkinson's
Wellness Group made the trip from Buffalo.

In addition to enjoying the Unity Walk, it was also great to be in NYC
again. The city has come back to life! The streets were crowded with
tourists,  the hotel was full, Broadway shows sold out - just the way NYC
should be. And there were thousands of beautiful daffodils and tulips
blooming all over the city. We learned the bulbs had been donated to New
York by the Netherlands after Sept. 11th, and planted by volunteers
throughout the city.

 I haven't seen a report on the Walk's official attendance or how much
money was raised yet - it is supposed to be announced on the walk's web
site soon. www.unitywalk.org

All of the Parkinson's organizations were represented and had much
information available at their tables. Speakers included Representative
Carolyn Maloney, Joan Samuelson, Robin Elliot, Martin Tuchman, and of
course, Michael J. Fox who received two standing ovations. The most
touching moment i think was a tribute to Margo Zobel who founded the walk
and led it for many years, but is stepping down as chairperson this year.

The message was there is great hope for the research -- but only if each
of us takes an active role in advocating for PD funding and protecting
ALL research that may lead to a cure - including stem cell and
therapeutic cloning research. We were encouraged to attend the PAN Public
Policy Forum - May 19-22.  I encourage many more list members to attend
as well. See www.parkinsonsaction.org  for more information.

Linda Herman