Hello All,

I keep repeating here that my Father died in 1999 from PD and why I am still
here apart from him, is that now that I am doing my PhD in Sociology, I have
chosen to work on Biotechnology (Stem cells and cloning) and Social
Development.

I have been reading several things on the question of ethics in Stem cells.
My opinion is this.

There is a difference between Morality and Ethics. Morality is tradition
bound. It is where you have no power to contest the ideas. It is the word of
God/Church or the State or the King in earlier times. Morality was those
ideas which these 3 called Law and Truth.
Ethics has to be different. Ethics is not the universal truth or law. The
beauty of ethics is that you can contest it. You have to constantly redifine
ethics becuase everyone is equal in our world. We are all not the SAME but
EQUALS.

That is why we are arguing about cloning....because it deals with Ethics and
not morality. It is not a matter where those who are pro cloing are immoral
or anti-God or "too rationalistic." Just as those who are anti cloning, are
not stupid, nor unaware of "real" merits of cloning.

The basic difference between Ethics and Morality is that of CHOICE. Our
society is different from that of the earlier times because today we have
choice. We decide what we want and what we don't. Common people are not
politicians in their lives. People can change their ideas and go back and
forth between different positions. Politicians unfortunately have to take
one stand by which they have to agree and live for, for some time at least.
We can constantly change because we have a choice. So for me, an argument
like "God doesn't want cloning", is not too helpful. By arguing that God
doesn't want cloning, in effect you are arguing that God is okay with people
suffering from Parkinsons.  I am not sure I want our God to be seen as
causing pain to us.

In any case when you bring in religion, you are removing Choice from me. I
can't argue with God and effectively it kills all debate. For me a better
idea is to create an environment where we can move ahead in a controlled
manner. Any time we feel that things are moving too fast, We have the choice
to slow down or leave research there.
Choice deals with dignity. Dignity is what we all are looking for in any
case, even in our suffering.

Ok enough ideas for one night.
Take care
Lavanya