Mark,

  I thought about whether I would say this or not and decided TO say it.
The ER doctor that you saw is Medical Knowledge Challenged!  If you can get
her email address, send her an education... links are provided.

Deborah
http://www.rush.edu/patients/neuroscience/parkinsons.html
States the following:

Clinical features of Parkinson's Disease:

Parkinson's disease is a disease which generally begins in adult life.  The
average age of onset is 55 tp 60 years old. The symptoms of Parkinson's
disease include tremor when the affected limb is at rest, slowness of
initiation and carrying-out of movement, rigidity of the neck, arms or legs
and impairments in walking and balance. Parkinson's disease is a slowly
progressive disease which """usually begins with symptoms in "one" arm or
leg""" and which over time progressively worsen and lead to difficulties
with independent walking.

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/http/depts/clin_neuro/teaching/tutorials/parkinsons/parkinsons1.html

Clinical Features

The onset is insidious and common presenting symptoms include tremor,
stiffness, or clumsiness, usually involving one side. Other presentations
include difficulty walking, fatigue, depression, dysarthria, or limb
discomfort. """The disease is generally "asymmetrical" at presentation."""
http://www.parkinson.org/pdedu.htm

What is the pattern of progression in Parkinson's Disease?

Parkinson's disease often begins with an episodic tremor of the hand on
"""one side of the body.""" Tremors may be distressing because of their
visibility to others, but fortunately, this symptom rarely lead to serious
disability (approximately 25%, of PD patients do not even have tremors).
Resting tremors may be accompanied over time with slowness and stiffness on
the affected side. As symptoms progress, patients may notice impairment on
the other side of the body, almost always less severe than the primary side.

Just got back from the ER.  I called my Dr. and he told me to go.  I was
shaking so bad I could barely drive.  The ER Dr. was pretty useless.  She
said that Parkinson's never affects just one side only.  I said that I had
read that it often begins on one side only and then progresses to both
sides.  She replied in that tone that only Drs. can do that she had seen
very many Parkinson's patients and had never seen it only on one side.

I'm not shaking as bad as I was, but still having trouble drinking or
smoking (yeah, I know I should quit).  She wasn't even willing to give me a
prescription for the anitviral flu pill that I can't remember the name of
that helps.

I have an appointment with my regular Dr. on Friday.  I guess I'll just
shake til then.  Does valium help?  I have some left over from episodes of
muscle spasms.

Anyway, thanks everyone who has replied both on the list and off.

Mark