On 21 Apr 2002, at 13:52, nkporter wrote:

> Murray and all,
>
> I too appreciate the time and effort Murray invests for the benefit of
> all.  Thanks Murray.
>
> I seem to have missed the recent article "Boost for Parkinson Suffers".
> If it is still in my mail list, I simply can't find it.  Can someone
> provide  the link for it please?
>
> Thanks,
> Nancy Porter

Hi Nancy and a wee bow to all who ent all those nice words my way,

Here is the Article....

Thursday April 18, 10:53 AM

Boost For Parkinson's Sufferers

Doctors are greeting with cautious delight an experimental treatment which it is believed could reverse the onset of Parkinson's disease.Researchers at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol have been astonished at the effectivenes
s of the treatment for the condition, whose sufferers include American actor Michael J Fox.

One patient said it had improved his ability to talk, walk, smile and also laugh. But the doctors say it is too early to say whether the treatment is long lasting and whether it can be used on all Parkinson's sufferers.

The treatment involves the delivery of a drug called GDNF into the most damaged parts of the brain via a mechanical pump.

Significant changes

"We can deliver a drug very precisely to areas in the brain in the
concentrations that we need to cause recovery and we can control that
very precisely," said consultant neurosurgeon Stephen Gill.

"We thought that this drug would take some months or years to be
effective (but) we found that really within a month or two patients were
noticing significant changes."

Fellow consultant Nik Patel said the results only involved five people
and the treatment would have to be put to more rigorous testing before
it could be more widely applied. They were still some way from a cure, he
cautioned.

SOURCE: Yahoo UK
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020418/140/cx1er.html

* * *