>At 10:35 AM 4/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>hi all
>
>has anyone noticed that john cottingham's website seems to be
>missing some postings?

PIENO had a glitch Friday afternoon and the few messages that came in until
yesterday when it was fixed are not in the maillist and thread pages list.

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/maillist.html

The number of messages in the maillist on PIENO has changed from a weeks
latest messages to a few days for the benefit of our international visitors.
Maintaining 500 in the list made the page load slowly for them. I cut down
the list maintained on the page to the last 300 messages.

The few messages that were missed in the list on PIENO are still available
for reading and searching in Simon Coles Parkinsn Archive whose search box
is on the maillist page.

HAVE YOU BEEN MISSING PARKINSN MESSAGES?

Many ISPs have reduced the amount of email you can maintain on the server.
If your email program is mistakenly set to 'Leave Mail on Server' your
mailbox can be locked by your ISP until you download those messages to your
machine which empties your mailbox on the server allowing new messages to
arrive. If your email box is locked because it is full, ANY message sent to
you will bounce back to the sender.  The listserv notifies me and over a
period of time if you don't download your messages the listserv
automatically deletes your subscription. In the meantime those messages that
bounce are never resent to you.

WHERE IS PARKINSN GOING?

The success of Parkinsn over the years is causing us difficulty now. After
the pruning of the dead email addresses we still have over 800 subscribed
even though only about 50 post to the list at any given time. Perhaps it is
time for each of us to reevaluate if subscribing to Parkinsn is really
necessary. The only advantage to subscription is the ability to send email
to the list. If you are a lurker, you don't really need to subscribe, you
can have the benefits of reading the messages online and eliminate the
handling of large amounts of email on your computer. Multiplying the number
of messages received times 800 taxes our host which is the University of
Toronto. The generosity they have shown by hosting us over the last 8 years
is priceless. They are being required to justify their expenditures for
non-university endeavors.

Parkinsn is considered an activist group and doctors and universities are
afraid of us and the potential liabilities. We have been trying to find
another host for Parkinsn in Canada. Number 1 is our activist nature and
number 2 is the number of subscribers we have subscribed.

Ideally,  we are more attractive to listservs if our subscription numbers
were 200 or less. We wouldn't be as much of a load for their mail servers.

If you just would like to lurk, please use the PIENO maillist page to read
the messages and follow the threads. Posting is the only benefit to
subscribing.

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/maillist.html

John Cottingham
co-owner Parkinsn