People go thru the nurses registry for a home health aid or stna (state
tested nurses aid). U will want to do a background check on the aid.

The state may have a list of aides also.  If u go thru an agency , then
they send in subs for when the aid calls off. Some agencies have a
sliding scale especially if u pay our of pocket. However, u have to ask
the agency. Ur mom and  u (if u live near)  will have to flexible, when
the aid calls off.

In the nursing home the aides get more patients when another calls off,
even though there are minimum standards that the NH follow. If he stays
at home and an aid calls off, then have the agency send an aid to at
least bath ur brother. The aids generally get paid for 2-3 hours for a
Bath Visit. That way the aid just doesn't bath and leave in an hour.
Make sure they clean the bath area (tub or bed bath) and bathroom before
they leave.

If ur dad is under 60-65 and is applying for medicaid, then he would may
qualify  for waiver 4 (under 60-65) or passport (over 60-65). The waiver
program helps cover home costs and meds. They are based  on ur brother's
income and ASSETS, monthly utility bills, and monthly medical bills,ect.
The case manager will have a list of what u need to show the govt. Also,
just because someone qualifies for waiver 4 doesn't mean that they
qualify for the same things in the typical medicaid program. Waiver 4
stops , when/if the patient enter the NH. Check to see if he would loose
some medicare and medicaid items that he would get at home verses a
nursing home.

The medicare and medicaid handbooks will have what in included and
excluded in writing. His case manager has to give u a medicaid info.
with coverage and monthly dollar amounts that are given to him. Medicaid
doesn't cover alot, however 2 - 3k a month helps alot when the  monthly
home care and supplies, ensure bill is 4-5 a month or 5-6k in a NH.

Medicaid doesn't mean that everything is free! It means things they
think u need are free. There are state MINIMUM standards which are
unfortunately followed. If u have supplemental insurance , then keep
it.

The Medicare handbook 2002 will explain the  benefits and should have
come in ur mom's mail by now. Look in the back of it and u can order
Medicare guideline books with the inclusions and exclusions of
individual types of care.

If he has to go into a nursing home, ask for their state inspection
notebook. It maybe on the table as u walk in near the receptionist. Ask
if u don't see it. It lists what the state's inspection of different
things of the NH usually in the past 2-3 years. Visit the 7-3 shift, the
3-11, and saturday midday after lunch. You will see a difference. Baths
are generally given up until 9 AM.

As for therapy, ask ur personal physician how often he should be
move/turned and if possible therapy. Some may say 1-2 hours , but they
are the ones that usually do the turning. Some NH frown on therapy more
than once a week. Ask the rehab. physician before he is discharged from
the hospital.

If u haven't already get an elder attorney to help u set up ur finances.
Some give u the first consultation free and then are about 100 to 300 an
hour. I know that is alot, but s/he may help u with stretching out the
finances ur mom may have such as her house for instance.

I read feeding tube and severe, but I don't know how old ur brother is
nor his condition nor, have anywhere near the education that the neuros
have. Ur brother, God, and the physicians knows what best for ur
brother.

I have been in a nursing home, acute care, a subactute care, and home. I
hope ur brother is able to come home first. What a heartwrenvhing
decision to make and Medicare doesn't give u long to make a decision.
Notice medicare not the physicians and the spouse-- the ones who really
care for the patient.

nm