Paula, I tend to blame the foot problem on the rheumatoid arthritis.  It
started with my toes curling under and got so bad I could hardly walk.  I had
surgery on 3 toes one on the right foot and the second and third toe on my
left foot (the side with the tremor). These surgeries were done each on
separated occassions in the hospital outpatient department by a licensed
podiatrist.  Wore special shoe until each was healed (about 2 weeks.)  I am
not satisfied with the results because I still  have pain and the toes are
still curling up.  I am about to return to the doctor. To make matters worse
in cutting my toenails I cut to close and got infection in my toe which
resulted in  celulitis and I spent  a week in the hospital in January
fighting the infection - 50 IVs later and a hospital bill to choke a horse I
was released and warned not to cut my own toenails again.  I was taking a low
dose of prednesone for the arthuritis and that I hear lower the ability of
the immune system to fight off infection.  Now I have finally managed to get
in to a rheumatoloist who put me on methotrexate (3 pills all at once one day
a week.)  I have to be monitored monthly with blood tests and breathing tests
since the drug is qute powerful  Truly I feel like a zombie - taking mirapex,
sinimet, diueril, folic acid, prednesone,  a vitamin, a herbal capsule and
the methotrexate.  I who never took pills all my life except for tylenol and
birth control (4 years) after four children. I hope if you mother has
rheumatoid arthuritis she can get to a rheumatoligist  who can give her
proper meds.  He  tells me in six weeks or so I will see a great change.
(four down and  2 to go) .  My hands were my biggest problem with pain in the
wrists and sometimes up my arms to my shoulders. The Parade Magazine in our
Sunday paper had an excellent article on rheumatoid arthritis and if you
cannot get a copy I will send one to you.  Need  your address.  I am in
Florida and I see you are in Canada.  My husband's family on both sides came
in to Canada from Cornwall England and on his mother's side from Switzerland.
 They eventually settled in Michigan.  Best wishes.  Marilyn