Hi,

My local newspaper has a doctor's column. This was in today's paper.  Has anyone tried it?  Did it work for you?  I don't smoke and am a little leery to try it.  The article says nothing about dosage.

sami

Q:  I was intrigued by your column about the benefits of nicotine in patients with Parkinson's disease.  Where did you find this information?

A:  In the Sept. 21, 2000, print edition of the Economist.  The article describes the benefits of the nicotine patch alleviating the symptoms of Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and Tourette's syndrome.  The effect is striking that at least one drug company (Abbot Laboratories) has begun trials with a similar compound called ABT-418. Doctors hope that future research will lead to an antidote for the disease.  In the meantime, the nicotine patch which is available without a prescription, appears to be a reasonable substitute.