In a message dated 4/26/2002 7:29:12 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< If people want
to provide donated medication to others, they need to find a way to do it off
the list.  >>

I agree with Katie. Doing this via the list is illegal and, IMHO, risky. One
might be unwittingly helping someone make a poor self-treatment choice that
results in harm. And, much as we feel we know each other, there's always a
chance that somebody is lurking whose motivation has less to do with need and
more to do with recreation or marketing. (Some people will try anything to
get high. After all, as fans of Six Feet Under know, there are people stupid
enough to smoke--and pay for--joints laced with embalming fluid.)

Don's tactic of offering medications to others in the setting of a support
group is one example of how this might be dealt with more safely. Even safer,
I think, is giving it to a physician who can then route it to a patient, as
someone else (sorry, I forget who) noted.

But trading drugs in cyberspace? Not a good idea.

Regards,
Kathleen