hi all

john cottingham wrote, in part:
>PIENO had a glitch Friday afternoon and the few messages
>that came in until yesterday when it was fixed are not
>in the maillist and thread pages list.
>
>The number of messages in the maillist on PIENO has changed
>from a weeks latest messages to a few days for the benefit
>of our international visitors. Maintaining 500 in the list
>made the page load slowly for them. I cut down the list
>maintained on the page to the last 300 messages.
>
>The few messages that were missed in the list on PIENO are
>still available for reading and searching in Simon Coles
>Parkinsn Archive whose search box is on the maillist page...

thank you for that info john

as i recall when you started your web list
it was set for 50, no?

since our list volume is way down from a couple of years ago
i would imagine that 500 messages would go a looooong way back!

all messages sent to a LISTSERV list are searchable through
the listserv database functions no? as per the listserv access page
or per the listserv tutorial instructions on my website.

last time i used simon's site for searching, the date configuration
wasn't quite right -  okay for casual searches, but not for in depth analysis

>After the pruning of the dead email addresses we still
>have over 800 subscribed even though only about 50 post
>to the list at any given time. ...

i don't think that renewal of subscriptions has ever been tried
i'm sure that would pare down the list considerably without
'dumping' anyone needlessly

the other large lists at u of t are set for automatic renewal notices

>The generosity they have shown by hosting us over
>the last 8 years is priceless. They are being
>required to justify their expenditures for
>non-university endeavors....

i thought the problem was slowing down their server
when we were 1900 susbscriptions?

i asked barb at the time
whether u of t would consider funding assistance
in order to keep the list there

>Parkinsn is considered an activist group and
>doctors and universities are afraid of us and
>the potential liabilities....

are they really "afraid"??? i can't see it...
almost every listserv mailing list (thousands worldwide)
would be considered an "activist" group - that's their whole
raison d'etre - open uncensored exchange of info and opinion, no?

there has been no liablility problem for listserv lists
for the past 30 years... !!!

janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/