I'm sorry, but the longer this discussion goes on, the less
helpful I'm finding the distinction between "real" writing and
"inauthentic" writing.  Patrick, I know perfectly well what you mean by a
Bakhtinian notion of dialogue, and I understand the references to "Anyone
for Tennis" -- but I just don't think it's a helpful distinction to say
that writing inside of classrooms is not real, and writing outside of
classrooms is real.

I think it's far more useful to say that writing in those contexts serves
different purposes.  The point of school writing is to provide "examples
of something"; it's performative, and the grade *is* the response: the
situation constrains the written transaction to the point where the grade
often seems like the only *possible* response (cf. Giltrow and
Valiquette's findings that student writers tend to read instructor
comments as justification for the grade).  But I simply will not buy the
notion that because this writing is performative, students and teachers
are not sometimes authentically engaged in its production (and
consumption, as in reading, as Will points out).  Perhaps this kind of
writing has little to do with writing outside of school; perhaps a grade
is a limited kind of feedback that doesn't really serve the writer or help
her to learn -- I'll buy all of that.  All I'm saying is that students can
be authentically engaged in trying to get the grade, and that
their engagement can lead them to the same sophisticated kinds of audience
awareness (what will this teacher like?  What topic should I pick?  How
should I approach it?) that we see more easily in out-of-school writing.
You can say that this happens only in rare cases.  Fair enough.  But that
it happens at all is an indication to me that "real", "authentic" and
"engagement" are the wrong terms to apply to describe what I think
Patrick and Russ are trying to describe.

We go round and round with this "real/authentic" thing and never get
anywhere.

So that's why I'm proposing that we look at what writing situations allow
people to learn about writing.  What do we want them to learn, and how can
we set up the situation so that they can learn those things?  If we want
them to learn to write for various audiences, we have to provide more than
one; if we want them to learn to persuade, amuse, call into action,
entertain their readers, then we have to create situations where those
things are possible outcomes of the writing.  Not all situations allow all
outcomes.

Marcy

                           Marcy Bauman
                         Media Consultant