That's it. I'm wondering about whether or not or to what extent this
depends on the student's perception of the task--phenomenalism ("a thing
as it appears to and is constructed by the mind" *Randon House
Dictionary*). This is what Russ is saying--maybe--that the situation must
be perceived by the writer as demanding or desiring a response. Burke must
have said something about this--where's Rick Coe?

Roger Graves
Associate Professor
Department of English, DePaul University