In reading Philippa's and Jo-Anne's responses to Linda's query, I
realize how fortunate we are here at Purdue vis-a-vis human subjects
regulations. We don't need to apply for exemption or approval from the
Purdue IRB for class research/writing projects that are part of our
curriculum, even if they involve outside clients. It would certainly
complicate the issue if we did have to do that each time.

On the other hand, in a graduate seminar on Professional Writing Theory
that I teach here, I have students each undertake genre-focused field
research in a local organization, and I encourage them to think in terms
of publishing their results in a journal in
professional/business/technical writing. (Students only take this
approach if they feel inclined to do so; any students who don't want to
pursue publication, don't need to.) In this case, where the students are
aiming to publish their research, they *do* need to apply to the IRB for
"human subjects" exemption or approval. Last time I taught the seminar I
shepherded six students though the IRB process. In a nice ironic touch,
one of the students decided to do her field research on the IRB and the
"human subjects" application process, involving the other five students
as informants in her research as well as me and the co-chair of the IRB.

Graham
p.s If you've have received several copies of this message, my
apologies; the message was rejected and sent back as "undeliverable" the
first couple of times I send it, so at this point I'm not sure what's
happening.  GS

Graham Smart               Office phone: (765) 494-3773
Assistant Professor        Office fax: (765) 494-3780
Purdue University          Home phone: (765) 583-0674
Department of English      Home fax: (765) 583-0674
324 Heavilon Hall          mailto: [log in to unmask]
West Lafayette             http://icdweb.cc.purdue.edu/~gsmart
Indiana  47907
www.hungersite.com
www.freedonation.com