Hi Linda,

To try to answer your question, I'm going to recycle a message I sent
off-list to Natasha Artemeva at Carleton yesterday when she e-mailed me
with a similar question after seeing my post to CASLL.  Hope this is
useful. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to send them
along.

Graham
The general consensus here at Purdue, from all parties that you talk to,
is that student class projects involving outside clients don't require
an application to our IRB as long as the work is part of the curriculum
and the outcome for the students is just a grade. On one of the Purdue
human subjects forms I sent you it states that all Purdue *employees"
must abide by the human subjects regulations. Perhaps that's a
distinction underlying the consensus I mention--employees versus
students.

I should say too, that I'm not talking about student projects that are
labeled as "research" (such as graduate theses or dissertations). In our
undergraduate Professional Writing classes, we have "client projects"
that involve taking on a documentation or communication task of some
kind for a client and completing related work for the client. We don't
foreground the "research" part of this, as we would in graduate student
field research.

Another thought: Here in the US, "service learning" is really big.
Students in schools everywhere are involved doing these kinds of
projects. If each and every time a student or team of students was going
to take on a service project for a client such as a nonprofit
organization, they had to apply to the IRB for human subjects approval,
the whole service learning movement would be stopped dead in its tracks.

Hope this is helpful.

Graham
-----------------------------------
Graham Smart               Office phone: (765) 494-3773
Assistant Professor        Office fax: (765) 494-3780
Purdue University          Home phone: (765) 583-0674
Department of English      Home fax: (765) 583-0674
324 Heavilon Hall          mailto: [log in to unmask]
West Lafayette             http://icdweb.cc.purdue.edu/~gsmart
Indiana  47907
www.hungersite.com
www.freedonation.com