Many thanks to eveyrone who responded so helpfully to my request for sources on international students and academic communication.  My student, Fan Yu, and I are extremely grateful for all the suggestions members of CASLL and CATTW made.

As requested by Milan Davidovic, I am forwarding suggestions that I received through private responses (I am taking the liberty here of assuming that thsoe who responded to me privately don't mind me posting their messages to the e-lists!)

**************

There is quite a bit of material on this topic, but I would recommend
_Writing in Multicultural Settings_ edited by Severino and others (MLA,
1997) and Helene Fox's _Listening to the World_ (NCTE)  for starters.

(from Lahoucine Ouzgane)

**************

Johns, Ann (Ed.) (2002). Genre in the Classroom: Multiple Perspectives.
Mahwah, NJ: Earlbaum.

This eclectic collection provides VERY different views on writing
produced by non-native speakers of English in various academic settings.

(from Natasha Artemeva)

***************

At the 4C's this March there was a session called "Student Writing Practices
in Cross-Cultural Perspective" that might give you a few leads. The members
of the panel who had all done research on this topic were: David Russell,
Tiane Donahue, David Foster, Xiao-Ming Li and Carolyn Erickson Hill. Russell
and Foster are coming out with a book in the fall called Writing and
Learning in Cross-National Perspective. It will be published by NCTE.

Tiane spoke about her research on the way French students write; Xiao gave a
talk on the ancient Chinese tradition of the "eight-legged essay"; and
Foster compared German and American student writing.

(from Emmy Misser
Writing Centre Co-ordinator
Wilfrid Laurier University)

Thanks again to everyone who provided suggestions!

Philippa

Philippa Spoel
Department of English
Laurentian University