Just seconding (or thirding or fourthing) what others have already written.
 In working on Southampton's waits, I found that town musicians not only
travelled after 1572, but right up to 1642 and beyond in some cases.  I've
found no evidence of an actual license for the Southampton waits, but
certainly they had their liveries and also silver badges with the town
crest.  That said, the one regulation of travelling musicians I know makes
no distinction between those who had patrons, served towns or were indeed
masterless: to the authorities at Ware, who no doubt felt themselves
constantly afflicted with itinerant performers on the Great North Road,
they were all "foren."

        "Also that euery foren musicyon restoringe to ye towne shall not be
Suffrede to tarrie or play in any Inn or vsuall resortinge place within the
said towne ouer one night & one day vpon payne to be usede & entreted as a
commone vagabond by the officers of the said towne."  (BL Add. Ms. 27,976,
fol. 109)

See my article, "Using Dramatic Records: History, Theory, Southampton's
Musicians" in MEDIEVAL ENGLISH THEATRE 17 (1995), 76-95.

Peter Greenfield