Once Christ has cried out "Eli Eli [etc]," and Caiphas has interpreted his
words as a prayer for the assistance of Elijah, Pilate says: "If he do
soo,/He schall haue woo". Anna follows with: "He wer our foo,/If he dresse
hym to do vs that dede." And then the boy adds: "That dede for to dresse
yf he doo,/In sertis he schall rewe it full sore."
Who is "he" in this dialogue? Are Pilate and the others castigating
Christ for his presumption in (as they suppose) calling upon Elijah, or are
they asserting their readiness to defy Elijah if he does indeed come to
assist Jesus? Or could Pilate be referring to Christ (sadly deluded in his
hopes), while the others refer to Elijah?
I am also interested in purchasing the film of the York Guild's production
of the Death, apparently produced by Films for the Humanities and Sciences
(Princeton: N.J.)--Does anyone have an email address for this publisher?