On 2 May 2002 at 21:09, patandpaula wrote:

> Clay, i know this is really stupid, but i dont know much
> about computers and i was wondering if you would tell me
> how to tell if my computer has the virus?  thank you paula

Hi Paula and Good Mornin' All....

My thoughts on this are that every computer should have an
anti-virus software package running to scan all incoming files
in real time.  I use PC-Cillin 2002, but other name brands are
equally available and effective.

Anti-virus software requires a little maintenance to ensure it's
effectiveness is not compromized.

This is limited to a weekly download of the latest pattern files
from the  software publisher, followed by scanning every file on
the drives on my 'puter.

This is standard practice if you are online and wish to avoid
viruses... (and Paula... you will know if you have a virus or are
ever sent a virus if you do the above...)

I just upgraded my computer (from a 486 clone running Win 95)
to an AMD Duron 950 with Windows XP Home Edition (from 32M
Ram) to 256M Ram (from a 540M Hard drive) to 40G ...

I also upgraded from dial-up modem access to a high speed
fiber-optic Internet connection.  I am blessed!

I use Pegasus Mail Version 4.01 as my e-mail client software,
(no offense to Microsoft fans, but Pegasus Mail is very cool)
Opera Version 6.01 as the default browser, (also tres cool,
and so much quicker than Netscape or Explorer) PC-Cillin 2002
anti-virus software with Real Time Scan enabled and I have a
software firewall - Zone Alarm Pro 3.0, which also scans and
quarantines suspect incoming files...

I disabled XP's raw sockets and it's universal plug'nplay...
See Steve Gibson's advice at http://www.grc.com/ if you're
computer has Windows XP....

I also disabled XP's built in software firewall... (conflicts
with Zone Alarm and doesn't monitor outgoing packets)

This level of protection is s'posed ta let me sleep nights....

<YAWN>

cheers ......... murray

Oh.... Note the new e-mail address....