Date sent:              Fri, 3 May 2002 08:51:47 -0600
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   nkporter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: More on Computer Virus/non PD
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Good Morning,
>
> Questions:  All the virus talk has started to worry me.
>
> 1. Is PIEN more or less targeted than other lists? Does any one have a
> basis for comparison?
>
> 2. What about Mac users?  Am I being too confident that the virus/worm
> targets do not include Macs?  And do Macintosh users on the list have
> detection and correction software?
>
> Nancy P.

I don't think that PIEN is "targeted" any more than other Lists.
This particular virus (as most others) is not actually distributed
through the List itself, but it gets sent out from the mailboxes of
individual members who have been careless and have executed the
program which has then contaminated their inboxes.

What usually happens is that a person gets the virus in the form of
an attachment (and does not have the proper "protection" which will
identify and quarantine the virus).  The person then executes the
virus program which then attaches itself to messages already present
in that person's mailbox (that is why the re-sends appear to come
from listpeople).  Then, the next time that the infected person signs
on, the virus begins sending itself (attached to old messages in the
mailbox) to every address present in the person's address book.

These viruses are primarily designed to affect people who use Outlook
or Outlook Express.  They can also be passed on through e-mail which
is sent in HTML (Web language) form; and that is why one should never
open any attachments unless they have been virus-scanned first; and
why one should always post in Plain Text only (and avoid the "fancy"
HTML postings which some of the mailers allow).  You need to set your
mailer (especially if you use Outlook or Outlook Express) to "Send
Plain Text Only".  I personally refuse to use Outlook or Outlook
Express, and use Pegasus Mail for Windows, a very powerful (and free
for downloading) mailer which is relatively "immune" to viruses.

Most of the viruses are designed for Windows computers, but Macs and
other machines can get infected with their own type of viruses as
well.  The only solution is to purchase and use (getting the updates
frequently) a good anti-virus program like Norton or McAfee.  Most of
them allow you to automate the process of scanning and updating and
so, once you have the program running, you don't have to do anything
but clean out your "Quarantine" occasionally.

It is insane to be online without a good virus program running.  It
is like unsafe sex.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"