From:                   "vmehra" <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Address Book Protection
Date sent:              Tue, 7 May 2002 22:22:59 +0530

> That is exactly why the virus could not have gotten hold of any
> messages or names in the address book folder. I downloaded the latest
> IE about a week before I got the virus. SO for about a week, if not
> more there were no mails in the inbox, except about 20 or so and
> nothing in the address book.

There are multiple ways that the virus can be propagated.  IE (even
version 6.0, which is the latest) has "holes" which allow script
viruses through by way of the HTML that it uses; and Outlook and
Outlook Express are very easy to get infected.

The only way to avoid getting and propagating viruses is to:

1. Get and use (properly) a good, automated anti-virus program like
Norton or McAfee.  You must keep it updated and run it regularly (I
run mine weekly).

2. Stop using the Microsoft mailers (Outlook and Outlook Express).  I
use Pegasus Mail, which is very powerful and free, and is essentially
"immune" to viruses; and it can be downloaded from <www.pmail.com>.
Eudora is another good one which comes in a free version (with
advertisements) or in a commercial version (without advertisements).

I have been using an antivirus program for about 3 years and Pegasus
Mail for about 5 years and I have *never* been infected with a
computer virus, despite getting an average of 300 e-mail messages
each day.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"