Emily

The upgrade normally should have located the old address book file and
used it if it was there.  Yes it is possible as people play with the
locations and names of their data files that the upgrade could not find
it. This is where backing up your data files in a off computer location
ie floppy or zip drives or burn to a cd becomes very important  as then
you will not loose critical and important data. I am not trying to be an
alarmist but reality is that the viruses are getting quite sophisticated
out there now and can if designed so wipe out any address book data file
in a few seconds after mailing out viruses to everyone on it.  Some of
the recent viruses can actually disable your virus checking software and
delete some of its files making virus checking software unusable.

The blank or fake address name in position 1 worked about 2- 3 years ago
on a specific virus and still does for this specific type of virus,
however today the viruses don't care and are unaffected by fake or dummy
addresses in any place in your address book. They can also randomize
send dates and can randomize who they will send the virus to.

Let me briefly quote from our latest virus tech bulletin as to how
sophisticated these have become.
This is from the latest KLEZ virus.
"The author has changed enough of the bits to get past most virus
programs,"
"In many circumstances, the worm doesn't need the victim to open it in
order to run. Instead, it takes advantage of a 12-month-old
vulnerability in Microsoft Outlook, known as the Automatic Execution of
Embedded MIME Type bug, to open itself automatically on unpatched
versions of Outlook."

  NOTE: This is Outlook not Outlook Express. A comment here is that
anyone may have an old unused version of Outlook sitting on their
computer which will facilitate and make this virus thrive without your
knowledge at all. I would recommend that if you DON'T use Outlook which
is installed by Microsoft Office or was the standard Windows email
program installed a few years ago; to uninstall it or use Windows -
remove programs to remove it from the hard drive.  IF you are using
Outlook then please ensure all the latest security updates have been
installed.

"The program will also cull e-mail addresses by searching a host of
different file types on the infected PC. Using its own mail program, the
worm will send itself off to those e-mail addresses. In addition, it
will use the addresses to create a fake "From:" field in the e-mail
message, disguising the actual source of the e-mail.

Finally, the worm attempts to disable antivirus software by deleting
registry keys, stopping running processes and removing virus-definition
files."

The AntiVirus software makers have updated their software so the virus
cannot disable them and have updated their antivirus software to
identify and remove the virus. Thats why it is so important not only to
ensure everyone's virus definitions and virus checkers are up to date
but that ALL the security patches for browsers and email software issued
by Microsoft be downloaded, updated and installed when they are released!

Don

--
DWD Computer Services
Box 219