Bob,

You are so correct! This has been surfacing on a regular basis .... perhaps
this is a good time to say a word about one of the main constituents of
aspartame:  This sweetener is made up of two components: l-phenylalanine and
l-aspartic Acid - these are both amino acids. Those of you  who have had
children may be  familiar with a test that was run  on your child  quite
soon after it was born ....... PKU ...... this was a test to see if there
was any phenylananine being secreted in the  urine.

Persons born with a rare disease called phenylketonuria (PKU), where the
excess  phenyl alanine was and indicator of possible mental retardation.
Numbering about 15,000 in the total U.S. population, know to restrict their
intake of phenylalanine from all dietary sources. Because
aspartame-containing products are a source of phenylalanine in the diet,
they carry the labeling, "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine."
(Phenylalanine is found in much greater quantities in meats, milk and other
protein foods.)

In  "normal" people, the body  uses  the "D" isomer of  the phenylalanine
to produce  L- Tyrosine. The  L-Tyrosine  is then converted into our old
friend dopamine.  This  process is driven by  something called  Coenzyme I
......... Which  some of you will know as  NADH.  In any event,  drinking
large quantities of aspartame will have no affect on dopa production as the
human body uses only the  D isomer.  It would stand to reason that  a person
who was incapable of  converting  the  Phenylananine  precursor to dopamine
would be retarded. It is not the  phenylalaninine which causes the problem,
but we have a nice easy test for it as  an indicator.

Rob - Drink upstream from the herd!