Dear supporters of Feinstein Bill 2439:

This will be my second column in The Californian.probably this weekend. I was
restricted to 600 words. If anyone wants to see the longer one let me know.
Also, feel free to use all or in part, or change a few words, add to it  to
spread the word.  I'm in Murritea, California.

 A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY
“We must not create life to destroy it”, insisted President Bush in his
ill-advised call for a ban on therapeutic cloning. Last summer the House also
prematurely jettisoned therapeutic along with reproductive cloning in an
unprecedented display of ignorance about the difference between the two.

For the first time in human history cures for diseases that shorten and
devastate the lives of millions of people and their families may be within
the grasp of medical researchers. This giant step for mankind may not be
taken if the Senate passes the Brownback bill instead of the Feinstein bill,
which prohibits only reproductive cloning. The Brownback bill not only bans
Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer(SCNT) therapeutic cloning, but even worse,
imposes Draconian criminal penalties of $100,000.00 and ten years in prison
for researchers and patients who go abroad for treatment.

Therapeutic cloning involves using an unfertilized egg and a patient’s own
DNA to cure his disease. So, just whose life is being taken when SCNT is
used, the “eggshell” or the person’s own delayed twin?  There would be no
twin as both bills ban reproductive cloning.  Wouldn’t this procedure in fact
“create life” by making it worth living or allowing a pain-free normal life
span for people of all ages?

When “life” with civil rights begins is a question of where to draw the
line.  However, opponents of SCNT seem to want to push it back to the “glint
in your father’s eye”, or a romantic candlelight dinner.  A baby girl is
born with approximately 150,000 eggs. Does anyone really expect 150,000 live
births from one female?  Eggs are lost every month.  Is anyone going to
retrieve them?  And what about those poor little guys, those billions of
sperm?  Sadly, there is not an egg for every sperm.

Therapeutic cloning does not use fetuses or babies, but germ and somatic
cells. For over 20 years the cloning of cells and genes have been used to
produce medicines, diagnostics and vaccines to treat a whole host of
maladies, track the origin of biological weapons, catch criminals, free
innocent people, and produce new plants and livestock. Furthermore, there is
a long history of voluntarily imposed constraints and ethical moratoria on
biotechnology research by physicians and scientists themselves.

So why do opponents of SCNT fear rampaging clones?  Unfounded concerns have
been expressed in the past about new medical therapies, now routine, which
are not forced on anyone.  For example, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not use blood
transfusions. People who oppose organ transplants don’t donate theirs to give
life to others.  Those who originally objected to in vitro fertilization as
“playing God” may now applaud the birth of litters without regard for the
extra embryos that are routinely destroyed in the process.  Opponents of SCNT
have a right to their beliefs and a moral commitment to non-existent
entities, but not the right to deny life-saving medical therapies to those
who do not share them.

The challenges of the 21st century are different from those faced by our
ancestors sitting in cold caves eating raw meat thousands of years ago.
 Since science has so far outdistanced religion and politics in the last
century, it is difficult for all of us to make a rational and humane decision
in this matter.  Nevertheless, we are all morally obligated to try to
understand the science of SCNT before we reject it. It has taken us a long
time to come this far and it would be a terrible shame and great crime
against humanity if the descendants of the flat earth thinkers succeed in
stalling human progress and hope.

Rayilyn Brown
40697 Corte Albara
Murrieta, CA  92562-5513