 Chillicothe Independent
 Volume 4 - No. 35
 For May 15, 2002
 Chillicothe, IL

 Snyder continues to raise funds,
 awareness for Parkinson's Disease

 Joan Blessington Snyder, right, of Chillicothe with U.S. Rep. Lane
 Evans (D-17th) and Carol Walton. Snyder and Evans have forged a
 friendship in their common fight to raise awarness and dollars for
 a cure for Parkinson's Disease.

 (Editor's note: No one talks more eloquently about Parkinson's
 Disease than Joan Snyder. The politics of the disease, the
 awareness, living with the neurological disorder, no one knows
 better than Joan Snyder. She has taken time to share her most
 recent efforts to bring awareness about, and make strides for a
 cure, for Parkinson's Disease.Thanks again Joan. kmm)

 I hate politics...and I haven't much liked any politician (except,
 of course, Mayor Don White!) since Paul Simon was the Democratic
 Senator from Illinois. My liberal ideas had taken a beating during
 the Clinton White House and I had sworn off the political process
 for good.

 But it seems a friendship made in "parkie-heaven"...just like so
 many of the friendships that I, Joan Blessington Snyder, have
 forged over the past few years on the internet and through my
 fundraising events. I had never met U.S. Representative Lane Evans
 until he answered my invitation to speak at "Links For A Cure"
 golf tournament and family funday, held at Three Sisters Park on a
 steamy July day last year. We two have discovered that not only do
 we share a common progressive, neurological disorder but we have
 found that we can help each other and our causes by co-operation.

 Me and my husband, Stan, went to the Quad Cities last year to
 celebrate with Congressman Evans and his staff, the kick-off of
 his 2002 re-election campaign. And Lane has returned the favor by
 attending a meeting at the University of Illinois College of
 Medicine.

 So when I got an invitation to see politics in action on Monday,
 April 29, you can imagine that I immediately said "roadtrip!!" Me
 and my best "parkie" buddy, Holly Angus left for Rock Island's VFW
 Post 1303 and were row three center for the Vetrerans' Forum on
 V.A. Healthcare Issues hosted by Congressman Evans (the ranking
 member of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee) and the Honorable
 Anthony J. Principi (the Secretary of Veterans' Affairs from
 George W. Bush's Cabinet).

 As Secretary, Sec. Principi directs the federal government's
 second largest department, responsible for a nationwide system of
 health care services, benefits programs, and national cemeteries
 for America's veterans and dependents. With a budget of more than
 $52 billion, VA employs approximately 219,000 people at hundreds
 of VA medical centers, clinics, benefits offices and national
 cemeteries throughout the country.

 Lane Evans is serving his 10th term in the US house of
 Representatives; he is recognized as a leading advocate of
 veterans and is a leading environmentalist but it is his ability
 to rise above his Parkinson's Disease that is remarkable.

 As the hearing was ending, Rep. Evans announced that the VA under
 the leadership of Sec. Prinicpi, is committing more than $30
 million dollars to support research centers that will concentrate
 on specific problems of Parkinson's but the research will also
 include other basic biomedical, clinical and health services
 studies.

 I am too busy to celebrate, though. I am planning the "Shake,
 Rattle & Roll for Parkinson's Disease" event and am once again
 looking to the Democratic incumbent to attend and to speak to the
 crowd as they gather to make the gentle one or two mile walk along
 downtown Peoria's Riverfront to raise money & awareness.

 My event will kick off on Saturday, May 25 at 9:30 a.m. with
 "PATIENTS AS PROVIDERS" presented by PLWP (PEOPLE LIVING WITH
 PARKINSON'S).ORG. This will be another in a series which was very
 well received last year. It is open to all persons who have
 Parkinson's Disease or care about someone who does. This year,
 speakers will include: Dr. Rick Weber, Ph.D-Associate Professor of
 Immunopharmacology and Microbiology at the U of I College of
 Medicine, and Dr. Richard Lister, neurosurgeon and M.D.-Associate
 Dean for Strategic Planning & Development at the College of
 Medicine. This event is offered free of charge at the University
 of Illinois College of Medicine Peoria Campus in the main lecture
 hall.

 During the afternoon, the Parkinson's group will attend a "parkie
 picnic" to celebrate the upcoming marriage of former Peorian Tom
 Kelly and Tammy McNamar as well as the birthdays of AJ Campbell,
 Dr. Rick Weber and Laura Dean.

 On, Sunday, May 26, I once again will be asking for awareness and
 money for research as I try something which is a departure from my
 past fundraisers held in Chillicothe. This year, with the guidance
 and help of the Parkinson Alliance, me and my friend and fellow
 plwp, Holly Angus have joined forces with Pat Sullivan, the owner
 of "Le Vieux Carre" complex on the corner of Water and State
 streets just across the street from the downtown Peoria Post
 Office.

 It is in this New Orleans style building that they will have final
 registration beginning at 10 a.m. with each participant asked to
 bring in $20 for a registration fee plus any collected
 contributions the walker would care to raise. Participants will be
 receiving a New York Nation Unity Walk t-shirt and a "Shake,
 Rattle & Roll" pin and be treated to an array of beverages, baked
 goods, fruit and pasta and pizza. At 10:30 a.m., Gina Morss from
 WEEK-TV 25, will again be assuming the responsibilities of Master
 of Ceremonies. This year's slate of possible speakers includes
 U.S. Congressman Lane Evans, State Representative David Leitch,
 Carol Walton from the Parkinson Alliance and Nancy Abraham and
 Brenda Tucker - the co-founders of PLWP.ORG.

 At 11 a.m., the walk will get underway along the riverfront and at
 11:30 a.m. Walkers will be treated to the sounds of jazz provided
 by local legends: John Miller, David Parkinson and Steve
 Degenford.

 Prizes will be awarded to those bringing in the most collected
 donations in two age categories. Prizes so far are a pair of Maui
 Jim sunglasses valued at $249, an overnight stay for two at the
 Holiday Inn City Centre with dinner for two provided at Jim's
 Downtown Steakhouse followed by a romantic carriage ride from
 Carriage Classics, a swim party provided by the AmericInn, a large
 stuffed animal and gift certificate from Moondancer's, a stone
 garden rock from Otto's Monuments, and a pair of Maui Jim
 sunglasses valued at $129, and an item from Chillicothe's Impulse.

 Corporate sponsors who have signed on so far include Caterpillar,
 Methodist Medical Center, First National Bank of Chillicothe,
 Geiger's True Value in Chillicothe and PRIDE of Peoria.

 Donations of food include: Happy Thoughts Coffee Shop, Five Star
 Vending, Better Beverages, Inc., Sam's Club, A Matter of Taste,
 Betty Sue's catering. Gina White's Homebaked Treats, Cub Foods,
 Kroger of Chillicothe, John Bee market, Phar-Mor and Rizzi's
 Restaurant. Others donating goods or services are; Gregg's
 florist, Mt. Hawley Printing, Target and Teppers.

 It's not too late to get involved - give me a call at (309) 579-3026
 or stop by our office to pick up registration packets.

 So what do I have up my sleeve for the future? You can be on the
 lookout for plans for a fundraiser for Lane Evans at Kelleher's.

 http://cinewspaper.com/feature2.html

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/