The Anniston Star

Calhoun County

Gene Fair honored with award for volunteer work

By Nathan Solheim
Star Staff Writer
05-10-2002

Gene Fair shakes a lot of hands, mostly because he does so much volunteer work
and gets national recognition for his efforts.

Fair was honored Tuesday with a regional Jefferson Award for his efforts to raise
awareness about people with mental or physical disabilities and other diseases.

Fair will travel to Washington, D.C., in June as a finalist for the national Jefferson
Award, where past winners have included former Secretary of State Madeleine
Albright and cyclist Lance Armstrong.

"I'm going to do the best I can and bring it home for Alabama," Fair said. "This is
great, I'm proud of this."

Fair is perhaps best known to Annistonians for his annual community pride parades
downtown.

He has been honored many times over the years for his ability to cope with
Parkinson's disease.

Fair was nominated for the award by Linda Johns, the executive director of the East
Central Alabama United Cerebral Palsy Center in Anniston.

"I think he's a great example of a volunteer and what a volunteer can do when they
set their mind to it," Johns said.

WIAT television in Birmingham and the Birmingham Post-Herald sponsored the
award for Alabama. Representatives from the media outlets handed the award to
Fair.

About Nathan Solheim

Minnesota native Nathan Solheim is a University of Georgia graduate.
He covers the city of Anniston for The Anniston Star.

Contact Nathan Solheim

Phone: 256-235-9292
Fax:      256-235-3535

E-mail: [log in to unmask]