Go to:
http://www.google.com/search?q=email+software&btnG=Google+Search&num=20&hl=
en&lr= for a list o possible options.  also go to
http://search.tucows.com an seach for "email software"  158 options show
up.

Eudora seems to be popular.  UCLA used to use PEGASUS. When they switched
to OUTLOOK EXREESS, their virus troubles began!

Personally, as a Mac user, I prefer Claris emailer, no longer supported
howeveer, but flawless.  OSX has it's own email software, which is
adequate, but does not compare to Claris.