This was my 7th forum counting the renegade forum that I helped organize
last year. Was it the best? most likely. Connecting the dinner, which I
have also attended many years made it more powerful, and on top of that
the hearing which was awesome by itself, made it an exceptional week.

The primary objective of a visit to my representatives is lost for me
(you know, taxation without representation in DC), but I had good
meetings with staff of Sens. Wyden (4th time I have been there) and
Smith (2nd visit) from OR and Bond from MO.

For me the sidelines were the most productive. I had conversations with
Executives from Pharm. companies, scientists, a Neurologist sent by AAN,
and many advocates who share interests in Medicare coverage for DBS,
development of patient registries,  comprehensive patient services and
of course, the pipeline that the cure must traverse BEFORE reaching all
but a few test cases.

I was especially touched by Paul Schroeder from Colorado, who told me
how he broke his cycle of depression the day one month ago when I spoke
to his group, PAR in Denver on advocacy, and how important it is for me
and us that we stay involved and hopeful about the future which we are
constructing ourselves little by little.

Of course the best part was the people. I enjoyed seeing friends from
past years and missed some of veterans who did not attend this year such
as Joe/Nina Brown, Bob/Nancy Martone from Houston, Ken Aidekman and the
Tuchmans from NJ/NY, Jim/Deborah Cordy from Pittsburgh (I reminded Sen.
Spector that Jim couldn't be there just before the hearing, and he
wanted to see the hour glass -- so Jim can you make me one for next
time) and many others.

The idea of a Manhattan Project (i.e. atomic bomb during WWII) was being
floated around the meeting.   With more promising science entering the
pipeline, and the display of Parkinson's Power on Wednesday, I have come
away thinking that such an effort might just work.  For starters we
could go a long way if NIH kicked the shortfall from the 1st 3 years of
the PD Research Agenda.

I come away exhausted and knowing there's lots to be done, but comforted
by knowing companions on this journey are determined as I to reach the
goal.

Perry