Bruce

I can share what I have had experience with re scooters. Two
in this household have Multiple Sclerosis and have difficulty
walking very far so scooters are a necessity for big outings.

Both scooters are PaceSavers ...three wheelers ...one an
outside model with wider wheels for traction and the other
is an indoor/outdoor model. Both have been used about 10
years [with no repairs]. They are battery operated [2 each] ,
both easily disassemble into 3 parts [base and front wheel,
cushioned seat with arms, and rear wheel section with gears]
....and then of course each battery unclips and comes off.

Bruce even though them come apart for "easy transport" they
are heavy and cumbersome and will require your caregiver
to lift out and assemble for you. The other option is a scooter
lift installed on your car trunk or a van with a side lift or even
a ramp system to roll the scooter up into a van.

As far as I know Medicare does not help with lifts, ramps, or
customizing vans and even help on the scooter is questionable.
The "rule" used to be Medicare covered "one wheeled assistive
device" for a lifetime.

That letter of necessity is a MUST...find it or call your doctors
office and ask for another signed copy

WARNING:   *For those who already dislike our health care
                           system,  do not read further.*

When we needed a wheelchair, Medicare * required * that we
rent it for 8 months and at the end of 8 months, if it was still
needed they would extend the rental 4 more months and at
the end of the total of 12 months if it was still needed, they
would help with 80% of the cost to buy it.

Now keep in mind a "Letter of Necessity" was needed to
document  why you needed the wheelchair in the first place
and as  far as we have heard Multiple Sclerosis is INCURABLE
but still just to make sure she really couldn't walk and there were
no miracles in her immediate future,  Medicare paid the 80%
co-rental payment for 12 months and then bought the wheelchair
.....   yep they paid for the same wheelchair TWICE.....

Also we learned a sneaky thing about Medicare.... at that time
they would only pay for ONE  *wheeled* device a LIFETIME .
Cleaver, eh?  Usually disability is progressive. Usually people
need a [wheeled] walker, then a wheelchair, then a [wheeled]
scooter. If they paid for the "wheeled walker" then you were on
your own if you needed the others down the road. I don't know
if there have been changes to the system to correct those problems
but find out before you buy because it might be to your advantage
to pay for the $200 walker yourself and bill them for the scooter later!

Bruce I hope this was helpful,

Gail Vass

PS. If you leave the scooter in your van /car, notify your Auto
Insurance company and have them make a note of it. They will
not increase your insurance premium but in case of theft while
in your car or auto accident damage to scooter, it will be covered
and you will be reimbursed.