Dear listmembers,

We arrived home late last night from PAN Public Policy Forum in
Washington DC.
It was a truly wonderful experience. Almost every single state, and a
number of Canadian provinces were represented by advocates - many of them
were attending PAN for the first time. We were reacquainted with old
friends, met new friends, we learned, we were inspired, we laughed and
cried together. One of the highlights for me was havign the opportunity
to talk with  many other  parkinsn list members.
 I'm sure many of the attendees will be posting more details about the
Forum in the next few days, as we digest all the information we received
and go through our notes.

For now - 2 of the most crucial messages are:
-  many of the foremost PD researchers stated that their research
capability is way ahead of the funding available to them. This fact needs
to be made clear to every Senator and Representative in Congress -
there is a huge gap between the funding the NIH researchers stated in the
Parkinson's Research Agenda  is needed to find the cure, and that
Congress in the Appropriations bill reports  strongly advised the NIH to
apply to PD research, and the amount that has actually been spent by the
NIH  since FY 2000 on Parkinson's research.
The Parkinson's Research Agenda must be fully funded.

-- S.1899 (Senator Brownback's bill) would criminalize therapeutic
cloning (SCNT) research  . If it becomes law , scientists researching
SCNT for cures for PD and many other devastating illnesses could face 10
year prison sentences. American citizens who would seek  treatments
utilizing SCNT, which might be availaable in other countries , could also
face criminal charges and prison upon returning to their homes.
Therapeutic cloning (SCNT) research would  NOT produce cloned humans. But
it could produce stem cells that could cure Parkinson's, ALS, diabetes,
cancer, etc.
The House has already passed a version of S. 1899, and President Bush has
promised to sign it into law if the Senate passes it's version. It is due
to come to the Senate floor for a vote this summer.
Call your Senators and urge them to vote NO on the Brownback bill.. Make
sure they understand the difference between SCNT and reproductive cloning
-- many don't.
For more information see www.stemcellfunding.org

Yesterday we went to the Senate Appropriations Committee - subcommittee
on Labor, Health and Human Services hearing on Parkinson's Disease,
chaired by Senators Specter and Harkins. It was an amazing expereince.
The room was packed by PAN attendees - most of us arrived at 7:30 AM and
waited on line for 2 hours to assure we would get into the hearing
Michael J Fox, Joan Samuelson, Muhammad and Lonnie  Ali, prominent PD
researchers,  and Donald Schneider - a PWP and disabled former radio
station manager from Iowa presented moving testimonies, and were
applauded by the PD advocates in the room.   Sen. Specter noted it was
the first hearing he'd chaired where testimonies received applause and it
was proof of how crucial these issues are  for all of us .
Transcripts of the testimonies are at
http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/
More later,
Linda Herman