In a message dated 5/23/02 3:56:37 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Nancy,   Your counselor is probably correct; this is the way it works for
most employers, particularly public employers, such as school districts.  It
is generally the case in a group plan, particularly the larger group plans,
that pre-existing conditions are not a factor, that the cost of pre-existing
conditions is spread throughout the plan.  It is also generally the case that
you can elect to have your spouse covered by your insurance plan.  Your
employer usually charges a premium for coverage for your spouse, and, if the
insurance plan provides coverage for pre-existing conditions for you, then it
provides coverage for pre-existing conditions for your spouse.

       But, don't worry about it--ask a teacher you know in the area where
you live or intend to work.  Or call the member services number on the back
of the teacher's insurance card to make certain or look at the district's
insurance booklet.  Any principal, superintendent or official in charge of a
school district's employee benefits should be able to tell you.
Representative's of the teachers' union or of the Association of School
Boards should be able to tell you.  The insurance company itself should be
able, and willing, to tell you.  I hope that you get your answer quickly, and
you don't have to worry about it.  Katie from Green Bay.

Katie, thank you so much.  I really appreciate your help.  I'll call right
away.

Peace be with you,
Nancy