The Washington Post ran an op/ed article today - "Personhood in a Petri
Dish" by  Richard Cohen. I think its the best article i have read so far
in terms of explaining in plain English what therapeutic cloning is and
what it is not. The full article is at:
  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30701-2002May29.html

Here are some excertps:
 Personhood in a Petri Dish
  By Richard Cohen
Washington Post, 5/30/02
"Come with me into Cohen's Lab. We are going to do some cloning. I have a
client with Parkinson's disease, and so I take a cell from his tongue,
extract the DNA from it, insert it into a human egg, zap the egg with
electricity, add some chemicals (sorry, the exact formula is secret),
wait about a day, extract the cells my patient needs and inject them into
his brain so -- knock on wood -- he will have Parkinson's no more. It is
at this point, if certain lawmakers have their way, that the cops will
burst in, cuff me -- and throw me in jail for possibly 10 years."

 " How much of this is science fiction? Well, not the very first part
about extracting the cell from the tongue and inserting the DNA into an
egg. And not, would you believe, the last part, either. If a bill
sponsored by Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) passes, human cloning of any
kind -- even just for medical purposes -- will become illegal. This bill
has already passed the House."

 " You might have noticed while in my lab that at no time was my human
egg fertilized. So if you believe that life begins at conception, you are
not getting life with this process."

 "... my goal -- my sole intention -- is to alleviate human misery. I
want to cure Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. I want to replace defective
cells with brand-new ones, and because the donor and the recipient are
one and the same, I don't have to worry about the body's rejecting the
new cells. I don't want to make so-called designer babies, nor, for that
matter, is there any chance at the moment I could. At the moment, the sad
fact is that I cannot even make the cells I want. Someday, maybe, I can.
Someday I -- which is to say "we" -- can have cures for diseases that now
make life so miserable for so many."

"... in medical research -- medical research above all -- it is
inconceivable that the government would use its police powers not to
impose standards but to enforce ignorance and, as a consequence, human
suffering. I don't think a cloned cell is a person. But I am sure a
Parkinson's sufferer is."