Hi, David --

My wife was diagnosed on March 20th of this year, about 14 weeks ago.
She had been feeling out of sorts for about 2 1/2 years and had gone to
many doctors, including several neurologists, all of whom were unable to
tell her what was wrong with her.  We finally found an excellent MDS who
diagnosed PD pretty much right away.  My wife is 45.  We have 3 kids,
ages 16, 14, and 11.

My wife wasn't sure whether to feel good that they finally found out
what was wrong or terrified because of what lay ahead.  So, she felt
both simultaneously.  The doctor started her on Mirapex right away
because she was having real difficulty walking and coordinating by then
and also feeling very frustrated.  Before we were married, she was an
aerobics instructor and personal trainer and has always focused on
staying fit.  So her inability to have the stamina for her customary
vigorous workouts was very disconcerting.

Anyway, she started on a very low dose, 1/2 of a .125 mg tablet three
times a day.  Cutting those teeny little suckers is not easy!  Then, she
went up every three days.  After about three weeks, she magically
started to feel much better and has been feeling better.  About three
weeks, she went for her second appointment, feeling about 85% back to
normal.  The doctor decided to increase the dose slowly again.  Now, she
goes up every week until she hits 1.5 mg 3x/day.  Hopefully, she'll be
back at 100% by then!

Even now, she can resume her regular pre-PD workout which has given her
a tremendous psychological boost.

A friend described the disease as descending down a flight of stairs.
You're okay for awhile and then you get worse for awhile and then you're
okay for awhile and so on.  How long you stay on the stair and how fast
you descend the stairs is very individual, which is why PD is sometimes
called a "designed disease".

So far, my wife has steadily improved since diagnosis and I hope it
stays that way.  There are lots of excellent books and groups out there.

Feel free to ask any specific questions her on the list or privately.

Good luck!

Gary