Deborah,

       I cannot answer your questions directly, but I did submit a posting a
year or so ago about the development of  yeast infections in women who are
prescribed antibiotics and I passed on the recommendation to eat cultured
yogurt to counteract the development of yeast.  This posting talked about
minor yeast infections, not major, or continual yeast infections.  (I have
not included a citation to that posting because there is nothing in there
helpful to you other than telling you that most women develop yeast
infections from common doses of antibiotics).   My understanding, because I
had a secretary, in the mid-l980s, who had a continual,major yeast infection,
is that some women are prone to such (extreme) yeast infections, and that
there is treatment and a special diet for those women.  I would not be
surprised that a massive dose of antibiotics, with a resultant major yeast
infection, could disrupt your system so badly.

       As to available literature or information, my secretary read a
mass-produced paperback book, probably published circa l986, which described
the yeast problem and explained the diet.  Both this woman and her daughter,
who had the same problem, tried the diet and found it to be very effective.
I am certain that there is more information available on this syndrome since
then: I do not think that this is a slippery pig.

       I am sorry that I cannot give you more direct or more current
information.  When I need medical information in a hurry, I go the library at
a local, hospital-affiliated school of nursing.  They are always very
helpful, and the librarian does most, if not all, of the work for me.  Also,
I would think that there would be a teacher/professor on the faculty of such
a school who would either be an expert, or would be able to direct you to an
expert, in this area.  Women's medical centers should also have specialized
information.  IMO, this is a legitmate medical problem, but it is a female
medical problem which has not been addressed historicly by the male medical
establishment; this could be why your doctors were so slow to recognize and
diagnosis your problem.  For instance, did any of your doctors tell you that
a yeast infection would be expected to develop as a result of taking these
massive doses of antibiotics?   Also, IMO, if this is what you have,  you
probably do not have a rare immunological disorder,  and the diet probably
will be effective in getting you back to normal.  Kudos to your doctor even
though he should have considered the yeast syndrome earlier and saved you
such needless suffering.  Good luck and good health!  Katie from Green Bay.