Shake, Rattle & Roll for Parkinson's Disease

-----
There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain

All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

John Lennon & Paul McCartney
-----

I think that this song just about says it all - although I will never
forget the friends and experiences that have brought me to this point in my
life - it's the bonds that I have forged with my "Parkie" friends that mean
the most to me now.

I think that is because when I'm surrounded by others who carry on the same
battle that I do, I can
really relax and know that my situation is far from unique and how good it
feels to be one of the family of PWP'S.

On Saturday, May 25 and Sunday May 26, we held our first "Shake, Rattle &
Roll for Parkinson's Disease". "We" includes my friend and partner in
crime, Holly Angus, proprietor Pat Sullivan of "Le Vieux Carre" in downtown
Peoria, plus the countless others who helped with their time, treasure and
talent to help pull of our most successful PD event.

Saturday began with a symposium presented by the on-line support group,
PLWP.org. This was our second year presenting this round-table discussion
involving Ph.D medical researchers, neurosurgeons, neurologists, and people
who live with PD.

Named "PATIENTS AS PROVIDERS", this program was held at the University of
Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria, Illinois. This year's program
included presentations by Dr. Richard Weber, Ph.D (Associate Professor of
Immunopharmacology and Microbiology) who spoke on "Parkinson's: The Present
and the Future", and Dr. Richard Lister, M.D. (Associate Dean for Strategic
Planning and Development) whose speech was entitled "Our Vision: A Center
of Excellence". We also heard from Carol Walton, Executive Director of the
Parkinson Alliance about how close we are coming to finding better
treatments and eventually a way to cure PD.

The audience participation in the question and answer/discussion part of
the program was wonderful and intelligent questions were asked of all three
of our participating doctors: Dr. Rick Weber, Dr. Patrick Tracey
(neurosurgeon), and Dr. Jai Kumar (neurologist). All agreed that this
excellent program was a success.

Then, our group went out to St. Edward School Gym to enjoy a time of
camaraderie and friendship as we attended our "Parkie Picnic". We
celebrated the upcoming marriage of Tom Kelly and Tami McNamera and the
birthdays of Laura Dean (Harley), Ann Campbell (AJ) and Dr. Rick.

On Sunday morning, bright and early, we were all downtown Peoria at "Le
Vieux Carre", a wonderful, 100 year old building that has been restored by
Pat Sullivan to resemble the French Quarter buildings in New Orleans. This
lovely building was covered in back and red balloons and set up with a
variety of tables: food, registration, welcome, raffle, and prizes, and did
I mention food ?? The food was all donated. We were treated to a wonderful
and sumptuous spread including some of the best pastries and breads, fresh
fruit and pasta. The weather was perfect-breezy and just warm enough and
the crowd was wonderful: considerate and happy and truly committed to the
cause. We had over 200 walkers and cleared (we hope this is in the
ballpark) $15,000.

Amidst balloons and jazz music, everyone listened for their number to be
called out to win a myriad of prizes ranging from $250 sunglasses donated
from Maui Jim (Toad - you're too sexy for words in those shades!!), to an
overnight stay at the downtown Holiday Inn City Centre with dinner for 2 at
Jim's Downtown Steakhouse, a horse-drawn carriage ride, to books by Michael
J. Fox, A.J. Campbell and Carol Hurcon from the PD listserv, and handmade
Raggedy Anne & Andy dolls made by PLWP member Jane Ross.

It was all over much too soon. My especial thanks go out to Carol Walton of
the Parkinson Alliance & the Tuchman Foundation for their kind support and
help - always; to Nan Abraham & Brenda Tucker of PLWP, and to all those who
made the trip here. Thanks also to my family, friends and sponsors - you
made it work!!!!

------------------
"Hang tough ... no way thru it but to do it."
Chris-in-the-morning on Northern Exposure

Jes

aka

Joan Blessington Snyder
http://www.geocities.com/joanbsnyder/

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice website: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/