From: Bob Martone [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 6:23 PM
To: Polk County Enterprise ([log in to unmask])
Subject: Cloning understanding needed

To the editor:

J. Bell's article "Cloning laws needed" in your May 30, publication came
up a little short on the options that the Senate will face soon in the
cloning debate. SR 2439 which is co-sponsored by Democrats Kennedy and
Feinstein, and Republicans Spector and Hatch would deal with the subject
in a much more compassionate and responsible way.

The issue here is not the cloning or potential to clone a human. This
virtually everyone including me finds plenty of good reasons to slow
down, if not stop entirely, until the many ethical and technical issues
on this subject can be better understood.

Therapeutic cloning on the other hand is about developing cures for
diseases that kill and debilitate millions of people today. I know
because my wife is one of them. She and our family have suffered from
Parkinson's disease for over 25 years.  As a spouse, it is extremely
important to me to convey to the American people and to your readers,
the truth about therapeutic cloning.

Therapeutic cloning is fundamentally different than reproductive
cloning; therapeutic cloning produces stem cells, not babies. No sperm
is ever used. The cells are not transplanted into a womb. And,
therapeutic cloning could allow patients to be cured using their own
DNA.

People like Nancy deserve a chance at life. She can barely walk now. Her
speech is slurred and barely audible. She can barely feed herself and
perhaps worst of all she can no longer hold those grandchildren that she
so cherishes.

A vote for SR 1899 sponsored by Senator Sam Brownback would put Nancy in
jail together with the scientists and doctors that would seek to cure
her. As our senators and congressmen and our citizens become better
informed about these differences I pray that they will be able to make
the distinction and vote to save lives not to imprison those who would.

Please call our Texas Senators and tell them to vote for SR. 2439 Human
Cloning Prohibition Act of 2002.

Bob Martone