Hi! Janet:
    I agree with your satement:
    " ..... i say 'our research' deliberately; the work being done
contributes to the body of human knowledge which is communal
     imho, attempts to apply the concepts of capitalism and exclusive
ownership to it are misguided and doomed to failure
     knowledge is us!"

    However, capitalism appears to be the driving force in most of the
scientific advances especially with reference to clinical and therapeutic
aspects of it.  For example, I am sitting on a discovery which was funded to
the extent of $ 2 million  by capitalism.  A considerable fraction of the
money was spent on protecting the interest of the investors by way of patent
applications and lawyer's fees.  I cannot publish the data yet in order to
protect their interests!  Without the investor's gamble my research would
not have progressed to where it is now.  Most of my efforts would have been
a failure, since my findings are so revlutionary and I would not have the
resources even to atempt to prove my concept due to the scientific
etsablishment.
Right now, I need around $ 5-10 Million to take my project to the next step.
One cannot even imagine toget that kind of a grant from any public sources.
    I know it is frustrating.  But, it appears to be a necessary evil.
    Raj
PS:   Don't forget Canadian Dollar used to be eqivalent to $ 1.13 of US
Dollar in the early 1970s!